I’ll close this year with the summary of what 2011 has been according to Google Zeitgeist 2011:
Communication for Development has a big problem nowadays: people do not clearly understand what it is.
During the preparation and the development of the ComDev Expert Consultation we produced short videos (almost 30) to explain basic concepts of ComDev. The entire list is available on the FAO ComDev channel on youtube.
Mario, Riccardo, Oumy and many others provide interesting explanations of what ComDev is and how it deals with rural development and agriculture.
The experiment was also important to provide a clear example of how, using limited means and without a specific experience, it is possible to create a sort of mini-training course exploiting the power of social media.
The creation of subtitles for videos on YouTube is very easy.
Proceed as follows:
– upload your video on YouTube,
– in the list of your “Uploaded videos”, select the one you want to manage and click on Edit,
– in the settings check for the tab “Subtitles”
– download the automatic transcription of the voice (it is actually automatic for English voices only, but the file itself can help anyway with the time schedule of the voice),
– prepare the translation, create a Caption file on the basis of the transcription and upload it,
– your video is now ready to be in two or more languages!
More details on YouTube Help site.
Some interesting ideas from Riccardo Del Castello on how he sees the integration between radio and video.
I think we should spend much more time on communication…
P.S.: thanks @gaurisalokhe