Mobile for development is quite a new issue and therefore has not been largely treated on the Internet.
The idea of mobile4dev is to use cellphones and any other mobile devices (if considering all the tools together we can talk of wireless technology) to support development projects on different kind of Knowledge Management and Knowledge Sharing activities. Until now, I have collected several examples of applications:
As you can see on this map, mobiles are actually used in different geographic areas, for different kind of projects :
TO DO WHAT?
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Strategically speaking, we can distinguish between two different families of services:
- Text based, using SMS, to support simple information distribution activities, or
- Visual based, using graphical approach with text, images, audio and video, to develop more complex services
In this respect, the choice is strictly connected to the systems adopted by the mobile phone you use:
- First generation
- New generation (smartphones)
WHICH KIND OF COMMUNICATION?
It is interesting to think about the kind of conversations that is possible to put in place and the way mobile based services can be part of a wider communication scenario. They can be:
- Stand alone, with the possibility to develop one-way communication services,
- In addition to other digital services online like Communities of Practice, db, phone centers, rural radio, etc., and the ability to stimulate many-to-many conversations
If you want to read more, you can browse related links on del.icio.us