John Cheburet from the Kenya Broadcasting Corporation!!!
John, who is a journalist from The Organic Farmer, won the competition with his script called “Sawdust prolongs the storage of potatoes“!
This experience was very interesting and involving to me. I spent hours reading the tens of scripts which qualified for the latest selection. And it was not easy for me to make distinctions among the best scripts as most of them were really high-quality. The best result was the fact that during all the time I dedicated to this exercise, I was more and more convinced of the importance of this project, of the relevance of the scripts and of the potential benefits listeners can receive from such a communication activity.
Now with my colleague Liliane of FAO, and then with a more enlarged team, we are starting organizing John’s trip to FAO to share with us his experience in the field and work with together on the preparation of future content for farmers.
Compliments John and the other 14 winners of the FRI’s competition.
What a good example of activity and collaboration!
Here is the complete list of the winners (the winners and script titles in alphabetical order by country):
- Felix Houinsou, Benin – Using weaver ants to protect fruit trees from pests
- Issakou Yagui Assouma, Benin – Crush the maize stalk to preserve the grains
- Adama Zongo, Burkina Faso – The pump mill
- Lydia Ajono, Ghana – The miracle local plant “zabila/lelle” or henna plant: The turning point for food security for a smallholder woman farmer in northern Ghana
- Gabriel Adukpo, Ghana – A farmer suffocates stem borers to death and saves his cocoa farm
- Rosemond Ohene, Ghana – A farmer protects his young oil palm seedlings from rodents with jatropha
- John Cheburet, Kenya – Sawdust prolongs the storage life of potatoes
- Stanley Nyakwana Ongwae, Kenya – Women re-invent hanging gardens technology to solve land crisis
- Rosemary Nyaole-Kowuor, Kenya – Sack farming: Unlimited vegetable harvest
- Fredrick Mariwa, Kenya – A local farmer in Kenya uses water hyacinth to produce chicken feed
- Andrew Mahiyu, Malawi – Innovative farmer uses animal dung to protect his crops by fending off hungry goats
- Gladson Makowa, Malawi – What fattens pigs is still a mystery
- Lamine Togola, Mali – Composting, the best practice for improving soil fertility: The case of Dien
- Assétou Sidibe, Mali – Scarecrows and cassette tapes protect rice fields from predatory birds
- Lazarus Laiser, Tanzania – Transforming bicycles into a vehicle of innovation
Read more details on the FRI dedicated website.