Yesterday afternoon we had a very useful and well organized training session on “what is and how to use” the The World Café facilitation method.
The agenda of the typical World Café session is:
- Intro & explanations,
- 3 questions: presentation and debate,
- Reporting by the “guests”,
- Additional feedback by participants.
- very useful method to get in touch, in short time, with people you don’t know;
- the choice of questions is fundamental as well as the relation among them;
- the questions can have different “directions” (from the more generic to the more specific or vice versa) and the time for the groups to debate is getting shorter and shorter to help focusing on the points;
- the number of questions can vary according to the needs;
- given the same question, the tables focused on different aspects (I found the complementarity of the answer very interesting);
- it can help you much getting closer to the solution, but not necessarily to find it;
- it can be used also to manage such a topic as the SWOT analysis (in alternative you could use the Appreciative Inquiry).
Thanks Nadia, Gauri and Sophie and I know that this is just the beginning of a long series of training!!